It is natural and right that parents take a keen interest in their children’s education. However, this can prove challenging for non native English speakers with children attending English speaking schools. Sometimes it is difficult to understand correspondence from the school, and even more importantly, communicate with teachers.
At our language school in Dubai, we offer a course specially designed for such parents called ‘Educational English for Parents.’ This course aims to develop parents’ abilities to understand school communications including school newsletters, the curriculum and children’s reports of achievement. Whilst the course teaches elementary English grammar and vocabulary, particular emphasis is placed on words and phrases related to schools and education. Students are also given lots of role play exercises to practice using the new vocabulary, thus enabling them to communicate effectively with school staff on elementary level.
Areas of study will include:
- Vocabulary: school related words and phrases.
- Reading: newsletters, school website information, reports.
- Listening: presentations and phone calls.
- Speaking: talking to teachers and other parents.
- Writing: messages, formal and informal letters, taking notes.
Upon successful completion of this course, the parent will be expected to:
- Understand the school calendar, newsletters and reports.
- Enquire about students’ performance and conduct at school.
- Communicate with teachers on elementary level.
- Update school with relevant information on their children.
Sign up for our ‘English for Parents’ course today, and within a few weeks, we are sure you will see a dramatic improvement in your ability and confidence to communicate with your child’s school. In fact, you will look forward to Parents Evenings and Sports Day so you can demonstrate your new found language skills!
The ‘English for Parents’ course provided by our language school in Dubai, is run by experienced, native speaking tutors. Classes are conducted in a comfortable friendly atmosphere using up-to-date and interesting material. Courses are offered on a one-to-one or group basis. Private lessons can be scheduled flexibly according to student’s requirements.